Re: [patch 6/9] signalfd/timerfd v1 - timerfd core ...

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 16:44:43 EST

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Nicholas Miell wrote:

> That's what the sigevent structure is for -- to describe how events
> should be signaled to userspace, whether by signal delivery, thread
> creation, or queuing to event completion ports. If if you think
> extending it would be bad, I can show you the line in POSIX where it
> encourages the contrary.

I'm sorry, but by pointing to the POSIX timer stuff, you're just making
your argument weaker.

POSIX timers are a horrible crock and over-designed to be a union of
everything that has ever been done. Nasty. We had tons of bugs in the
original setup because they were so damn nasty.

I'd rather look at just about *anything* else for good design than from
some of the abortions that are posix-timers.

Linus