Re: [patch 6/9] signalfd/timerfd v1 - timerfd core ...

From: Davide Libenzi
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 01:54:47 EST

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Nicholas Miell wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 22:38 -0800, Davide Libenzi wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Nicholas Miell wrote:
> >
> > > Why did you ignore the existing POSIX timer API?
> >
> > The existing POSIX API is a standard and a very good one. Too bad it does
> > not deliver to files. The timerfd code is, as you can probably read from
> > the code, a really thin wrapper around the existing hrtimer.c Linux code.
>
> So extend the existing POSIX timer API to deliver expiry events via a
> fd.

It'll be out of standard as timerfd is, w/out code savings. Look at the
code and tell me what could be saved. Prolly the ten lines of the timer
callback. Lines that you'll have to drop inside the current posix timer
layer. Better leave standards alone, especially like in this case, when
the savings are not there.

- Davide