Re: 2.6.21-rc3-mm1 RSDL results

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 20:03:29 EST

On Saturday 10 March 2007 09:12, Con Kolivas wrote:
> On Saturday 10 March 2007 08:57, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> > > 5x memload: good
> > > 5x execload: good
> > > 5x forkload: good
> > > 5 parallel makes: mostly good
> > > make -j 5: bad
> > >
> > > So what's different between makes in parallel and make -j 5? Make's
> > > job server uses pipe I/O to control how many jobs are running.
> >
> > Matt, could you check with plain 2.6.20 + Con's patch ? It is possible
> > that he added bugs when porting to -mm, or that someting in -mm causes
> > the trouble. Your experience with -mm seems so much different from mine
> > with mainline, there must be a difference somewhere !
>
> Good idea.

It's all very odd Matt. It really isn't behaving anything like you describe
for myself or others. It sounds more like a real bug than what the design
would do at all. The only things that are different on yours is Beryl and a
different graphics card. When you're comparing to mainline are you
comparing -mm1 to -mm2 to ensure something else from -mm isn't responsible?
Also have you tried rsdl on 2.6.20 as Willy suggested? I would really love to
get to the bottom of this as it really shouldn't behave that way under load
no matter how the load is dished out.

Thanks!

--
-ck