question regarding the Linux block device cache

From: Xin Zhao
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 17:24:37 EST

Hi,

I am working on a file system that allow multiple files to share data
blocks. That is, a data block can be shared by two or more files. Now
my question is: suppose file A and B share the same data block D. Now
a process open file A and read block D, then this process closes file
A. If another process open file B and read block D right after the
first process closes A, is the data of block D read from some cache or
has to be loaded from disk again? I think this has to do with the
Linux block device buffer cache. But I am not quite familiar with this
part.

Can someone help me or direct me to the right place to find the answer?

Thanks in advance!

-x