Re: [lm-sensors] Could the k8temp driver be interfering with ACPI?

From: Alexey Starikovskiy
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 05:40:06 EST

Jean Delvare wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 07:18:56 +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
Port (and memory) addresses can be dynamically generated by the AML code
and thus, there is no way that the ACPI subsystem can statically predict
any addresses that will be accessed by the AML.
Can you take this as a wishlist item?

It would be nice if next version of acpi specs supported table

'AML / SMM BIOS will access these ports'

...so we can get it correct with acpi4 or something..?

I can only second Pavel's wish here. This would be highly convenient
for OS developers to at least know which resources are accessed by AML
and SMM. Without this information, we can never be sure that OS-level
code won't conflict with ACPI or SMM.

BIOS vendors are not required to support latest and greatest ACPI spec. So even if some future spec version
will include this ports description, we will still have majority of hardware not exporting it...

Regards,
Alex.