Re: Question about memory mapping mechanism

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 19:36:44 EST

Martin Drab wrote:
Hi,

I'm writing a driver for a sampling device that is constantly delivering a relatively high amount of data (about 16 MB/s) and I need to deliver the data to the user-space ASAP. To prevent data loss I create a queue of buffers (consisting of few pages each) which are more or less directly filled by the device and then mapped to the user-space via mmap().

The thing is that I'd like to prevent kernel to swap these pages out, because then I may loose some data when they are not available in time for the next round.

It would likely be easier to just mlock this buffer from the userspace application, rather than trying to achieve this in the driver..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx