Re: [SLUB 0/3] SLUB: The unqueued slab allocator V4

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 16:55:08 EST

Note that I am amazed that the kernbench even worked. On small machine I
seem to be getting into trouble with order 1 allocations. SLAB seems to be
able to avoid the situation by keeping higher order pages on a freelist
and reduce the alloc/frees of higher order pages that the page allocator
has to deal with. Maybe we need per order queues in the page allocator?

There must be something fundamentally wrong in the page allocator if the
SLAB queues fix this issue. I was able to fix the issue in V5 by forcing
SLUB to keep a mininum number of objects around regardless of the fit to
a page order page. Pass through is deadly since the crappy page allocator
cannot handle it.

Higher order page allocation failures can be avoided by using kmalloc.
Yuck! Hopefully your patches fix that fundamental problem.