Re: Kernel threads

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 04:00:59 EST

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 11:03:48 -0500 "linux-os \(Dick Johnson\)" <linux-os@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> In linux-2.6.16.24, there is a problem with kernel threads
> and the aic79xx.c driver.
>
> When nash is executing /initrd/linuxrc in the initial RAM disk
> during boot, it will be installing drivers. One driver, aic79xx.c
> creates some kernel threads that will exit after the initialization
> procedure. Actually the number of tasks depends upon the number
> of disks found as the driver spawns these tasks so initialization
> can occur in the background. The kernel tasks have been 'parented'
> to init. This may be fine for the real init, but nash and other
> shells receive the SIGCHLD signal and think that the fork()/exec()
> they have executed is complete. This makes nash insert drivers
> when the needed previous ones have not yet initialized. Also, when
> booting a shell, the signals from the exiting kernel tasks confuse
> it.
>
> I think the top-level thread, kthread, should be reaping children
> instead of init, which in some cases isn't even running yet.
>
> Any comments?
>
> The current work-around of putting `sleep 10` in linuxrc after
> installing each driver is a hack of the worse kind. Especially,
> considering an Adaptec controller with many drives attached may
> require 'sleep 60'!

ug. I've always disliked the kernel's dependence upon init to reap exitted
kernel threads. It Just Seems Wrong.

But I'd have thought that this is really wart in nash - Linux simply
expects init to reap dead kernel threads, and as a Linux implementation of
init, nash ought to not misbehave in the presence of this logstanding
kernel behaviour.