Re: 2.6.21-rc2 regression vs. 2.6.20: AT keyboard only works with pci=noacpi

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 16:50:59 EST

On 3/7/07, Ash Milsted <thatistosayiseenem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:00:04 +0000
Ash Milsted <thatistosayiseenem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 14:23:50 +0000
> Ash Milsted <thatistosayiseenem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 15:14:24 +0000
> > Ash Milsted <thatistosayiseenem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > With 2.6.21-rc2-git1 I have a problem with my ps/2 port keyboard - it only works
> > > with one of the following on the command-line:
> > > - nolapic
> > > - irqfixup
> > > - pci=noacpi
> > > Otherwise it gets stuck with the numlock on.
> > > The following options have no effect:
> > > - nohz=off (who knows eh?)
> > > - pci=nomsi
> > >
> snip
> > >
> > > Ash
> >
> > Just checked 2.6.21-rc2-mm1, still has the problem.
> > Also, acpi=noirq fixes it too.
> > To clarify, the problem is that my ps/2 port keyboard is completely frozen
> > on boot - usually it gets activated when udev probes for hardware (my kernel
> > config is highly modular). It worked fine with 2.6.20 and earlier with acpi
> > taking care of interrupt routing.
> >
> > Ash
>
> Any thoughts on this? It still occurs with 2.6.21-rc3. Here's my config
> in case that helps. You'll see that I have swap-prefetch patched in (I
> also have RDSL and some VM changes in there), but I have confirmed that
> the problem occurs with no extra patches. By the way, I tested mm1 with
> a rather different config (I used my distro package) and still saw the
> problem.
>
> Also, you should probably ignore that bit above where I suggest the
> keyboard driver is being loaded as a module, because of course it
> isn't.. Yet it does start responding (with pci=noacpi) at about that
> time that udev does its thing.

schnip

So, I tracked this down to 2.6.21-git7, the first snapshot that gives me
this problem. Tellingly it does contain an input tree merge. I would git bisect
but I don't have a local copy of the tree - I tried to get one, but it stopped
halfway through the clone, probably because I had to use http... So, I hope that
helps.

Hm, that is strange... 2.6.20-rc7 has i8042 AUX IRQ delivery test fix
and fix for panic blink, both shoudl not really affect your keyboard.
Can I please get full dmesg of boot with "i8042.debug
log_buf_len=131072"?

--
Dmitry