Re: irq nobody cared issue on 2.6.2x

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 15:09:30 EST

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Mws wrote:

> if you would be so kind to provide me some infos,
>
> how i would be able to track the problem down _and_ maybe how to fix it.

The first step is to figure out as exactly as possible _when_ it started
happening.

> please find two snippets of dmesg after booting 2.6.21-rc3-git
> (2.6.20-1 has got the same results)

So is 2.6.19 good? 2.6.20-rc1? -rc2?

If you're a git user (or even just marginally interested in learning), the
best thing to do is to find some good kernel (the more recent, the better,
but the keyword is *some* kernel that works well), and a bad kernel (the
older the better, just to avoid unnecessary work, but again, you can just
take the most recent too), and then just use "git bisect".

If you bisect it down to one particular commit, that will help us a lot,
but even if you only bisect it down by booting a handful of kernels (say,
5-6), it will already have cut things down a lot, and probably more easily
and efficiently than if you just downloaded daily snapshots and tried to
narrow it down that way.

Linus