Re: Linux-2.6.21-rc3 : Dynticks and High resolution Timer hangingthe system

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 14:46:24 EST

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 20:12 +0100, Stephane Casset wrote:
> I also tried compiling the kernel without Tickless and without High
> resolution timer, this kernel is working ok and is one of the first
> kernel to suspend and resume from RAM. Congratulations ! ;p
>
> I tried to compile te kernel with only Tickless System or High
> Resolution timer, both hang on boot.

There should be no difference between compile time and runtime
disabling.

> The hang is just after :
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.1[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
> ICH5: chipset revision 2
> ICH5: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0x2040-0x2047, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0x2048-0x204f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
>
> And I have the message :
> Switched to NOHZ mode on CPU #1
> or
> Switched to high resolution mode on CPU #1
> Depending on the option enabled/disabled
>
> What can I do to help find the bug ?

Can you capture a boot log with highres and/or dynticks enabled ?

Enable CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE and add "console=ttyS0,115200" to the
commandline. Capture the output with minicom on a second box.

Also please enable CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ and try to send a SysRq-T and a
SysRq-Q to the machine via keyboard or the serial line.

Thanks

tglx