Re: + stupid-hack-to-make-mainline-build.patch added to -mm tree

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 12:51:40 EST

* Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Xen, for example, uses the tsc as the principle timebase in the
> hypervisor interface. [...]

ugh. Please take it from me: i've watched the Linux time code walk its
long, rocky 10+ years road. One of the first mistakes was when we made
the TSC the center of the i386-time universe. (incidentally, it was me
who did the first steps of that, as a rookie kernel hacker) We got cured
out of that in v2.6.19, v2.6.20 and v2.6.21. Granted, Xen is only at the
beginning of that same road. Meet in another 10 years? ;)

Ingo