Re: [patch 0/6 -rt] powerpc 2.6.20-rt8: fix boot/runtime errors/warningsfor PowerPC(ppc64)

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 09:27:33 EST

Tsutomu OWA wrote:
Hi Ingo,

Please consider for inclusion in your rt tree.

This series of patches fixes boot and runntime errors/warnings for
powerpc (esp. 64 bit). This applies to linux-2.6.20, patch-2.6.20-rt8
and previous my patch set;
http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2007-March/032640.html
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/3/6/503

Compile and boot tested on celleb (Cell Reference set) for both
PREEMPT_RT=y and PREEMPT_NONE=y.

CONFIG_MCOUNT, CONFIG_LATENCY_TRACE and other tracing options nor
CONFIG_GENERIC_TIME,

There is PowerPC genTOD patch and it's incorporated into -rt (don't know it works for Cell) but it breaks TOD vsyscalls. Several months ago I've posted patches removing them for the time being:

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2006-November/027686.html

and I've heard that this issue is being worked on now by John Stultz.
Here's also a patch implemeting read_persitent_clock():

http://www.tglx.de/projects/hrtimers/2.6.18/broken-out/gtod-persistent-clock-support-ppc.patch

clockevents etc are not yet ported.

Note that there *is* PowerPC clockevents driver already (don't know if it works for Cell) -- it just never got merged to -rt:

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2006-November/027794.html
http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2006-November/027852.html

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.