Re: [BUG] ATAPI command TEST_UNIT_READY never succeeds!

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 07:27:49 EST

Conke Hu wrote:
> On 3/7/07, Conke Hu <conke.hu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Do you ever noticed that the ATAPI command TEST_UNIT_READY always
>> fails to execute !?
>> I debugged in the following environments:
>> piix + Intel ICH6/ICH7 PATA
>> atiixp + ATI SB600 PATA
>> libata + ata_piix + Intel ICH6/ICH7 PATA
>> libata + sata_sil24 + Silicon Image 3132
>> libata + ahci + ATI SB600 SATA
>> libata + ahci + Intel AHCI
>> but none of them can execute TEST_UNIT_READY command successfully.
>> For example, in ahci driver, ahci_interrupt() reads port status as
>> 0x4000_0000, which indicates an taskfile error.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> 0x4000_0001, not 0x4000_0000, sorry.
>
> more precisely speaking, ahci_host_intr() reads PORT_IRQ_STAT as
> 0x4000_0001, not the expected 0x0000_0001.

I've read your last posting about this, but forgot to follow up. TUR is
supposed to fail if ATAPI device doesn't have media loaded. TUR fails
and sense data returns device not ready - media not present. That's the
normal operation. Does TUR fail even with media loaded or is sense data
not properly fetched?

--
tejun