Re: [patch 4/6] mm: merge populate and nopage into fault (fixes nonlinear)

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 04:28:49 EST

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 09:53:23AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > btw., if we decide that nonlinear isnt worth the continuing
> > > maintainance pain, we could internally implement/emulate
> > > sys_remap_file_pages() via a call to mremap() and essentially
> > > deprecate it, without breaking the ABI - and remove all the
> > > nonlinear code. (This would split fremap areas into separate vmas)
> > >

> > I'm rather regretting having merged it - I don't think it has been
> > used for much.
> >
> > Paolo's UML speedup patches might use nonlinear though.
>
> yes, i wrote the first, prototype version of that for UML, it needs an
> extended version of the syscall, sys_remap_file_pages_prot():
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/remap-file-pages-patches/remap-file-pages-prot-2.6.4-rc1-mm1-A1
>
> i also wrote an x86 hypervisor kind of thing for UML, called
> 'sys_vcpu()', which allows UML to execute guest user-mode in a box,
> which also relies on sys_remap_file_pages_prot():
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/remap-file-pages-patches/vcpu-2.6.4-rc2-mm1-A2
>
> which reduced the UML guest syscall overhead from 30 usecs to 4 usecs
> (with native syscalls taking 2 usecs, on the box i tested, years ago).
>
> So it certainly looked useful to me - but wasnt really picked up widely.
>
> We'll always have the option to get rid of it (and hence completely
> reverse the decision to merge it) without breaking the ABI, by emulating
> the API via mremap(). That eliminates the UML speedup though. So no need
> to feel sorry about having merged it, we can easily revisit that
> years-old 'do we want it' decision, without any ABI worries.

Depending on whether anyone wants it, and what features they want, we
could emulate the old syscall, and make a new restricted one which is
much less intrusive.

For example, if we can operate only on MAP_ANONYMOUS memory and specify
that nonlinear mappings effectively mlock the pages, then we can get
rid of all the objrmap and unmap_mapping_range handling, forget about
the writeout and msync problems...