Re: Packet timestamps (was: Re: Network performance degradation from 2.6.11.12 to 2.6.16.20)

From: Vladimir B. Savkin
Date: Tue Mar 06 2007 - 13:15:56 EST

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 04:16:24PM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> It would be better to name the tunable "disable_timestamps", default 0 of
> course....

I agree.
If networking maintainers are interested, I surely can prepare a patch.

But IMO some way to force TSC usage on x86_64 will be even better.

> It would better describe what your patch is actually doing : Even if a tcpdump
> is running (so asking for timestamps), it wont have them because the sysctl
> disabled them.

Well, tcpdump will have timestamps, but taken at wrong moment.
But some other applications (that use ip_queue, ulog etc.) will not,
as I understand.

> Thank you

~
:wq