Re: [RFC] BadRAM still not ready for inclusion ? (was: Re: Free Linux Driver Development!)

From: devzero
Date: Tue Mar 06 2007 - 12:54:34 EST

>What's so hard about submitting a 200 line patch to LKML?

that's what i was wondering about ;D
it's not the first time, that i see nice features not being submitted to lkml.

anyway - pavel (thanks btw!) just pointed me to some param "mem=exactmap" :

>I think functionality is there in latest vanila with mem=exactmap even
>w/o patches.

so, maybe we need to find out _if_ and _how_ this could make BadRAM obsolete (i.e. if this is a good alternative) ?
(so we won't need to discuss about BadRAM inclusion anymore. :)

what i found is:

894 memmap=exactmap [KNL,IA-32,X86_64] Enable setting of an exact
895 E820 memory map, as specified by the user.
896 Such memmap=exactmap lines can be constructed based on
897 BIOS output or other requirements. See the memmap=nn@ss
898 option description.
899
900 memmap=nn[KMG]@ss[KMG]
901 [KNL] Force usage of a specific region of memory
902 Region of memory to be used, from ss to ss+nn.
903
904 memmap=nn[KMG]#ss[KMG]
905 [KNL,ACPI] Mark specific memory as ACPI data.
906 Region of memory to be used, from ss to ss+nn.
907
908 memmap=nn[KMG]$ss[KMG]
909 [KNL,ACPI] Mark specific memory as reserved.
910 Region of memory to be used, from ss to ss+nn.

this indeed looks like something being able to replace BadRAM, but the question is, how to handle/enable that and how to translate BadRAM patterns from memtest86 to be usable. (i.e.: writing a HowTo for the average user not being a kernel wizard)

regards
roland