Re: Xen & VMI?

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Mar 06 2007 - 05:32:14 EST

* Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks. That is actually the point I want make: although it is
> *possible* to do that via VMI ROM, doing that using paravirt_ops is
> *better* (no matter whenever the hypervisor is xen or kvm). [...]

but paravirt_ops is not an ABI ... nor will it ever become one. So the
fact remains: the extra ABIs towards external hypervisors are quite an
issue.

> [...] The very same discussion a couple months ago came to exactly
> that conclusion.

uhm, that discussion mostly only involved people interested in external
hypervisors, not those poor souls who have to fix up the mess in the end
within Linux ;-) [ I am very sure all foxes would come to the happy
conclusion that there is no need for any stinkin' lock on the barn ;-) ]

Ingo