Re: [lm-sensors] Could the k8temp driver be interfering with ACPI?

From: David Hubbard
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 16:35:43 EST

Hi Jean, Rudolf,

1* It requires that we modify each driver individually. It's quite a
shame that we have to update drivers all around the kernel tree with
specific code to workaround a problem which is originally located in a
single place (the ACPI subsystem.) That being said this isn't a blocker
point, if this is the only way, we'll do it. But that's a rather great
amount of work.

These additions to drivers might help with the kernel virtualization.

2* It seems to incur a signficant performance penalty.
____request_resource isn't cheap as far as I know. And in the
absence of conflict, you are even allocating and releasing the resource
on _each_ I/O operation, which certainly isn't cheap either. Again, it
is not a blocker point, after all this is a workaround for an improper
behavior of the acpi subsystem, this performance penalty is the price to
pay. But there is also a performance penalty for legitimate I/O access,
which worries me more.

I thought Rudolf's patch allocated the resource in the driver
(w83627ehf) and ACPI contacted the driver when it could not allocate
the resource. Since ACPI never *really* wants to allocate the
resource, is there a fast-path check it could do? This would help
performance.

3* What about concurrent accesses from ACPI itself? Unless we have a
guarantee that only one kernel thread can run AML code at a given
moment, I can imagine a conflict happening, as your code protects us
well against ACPI and driver concurrent accesses, but not against two
concurrent ACPI accesses. But I'm not familiar with ACPI - maybe we do
have this guarantee? OTOH, if this ever happens, well, it would happen
even without your code.

All of ACPI uses the same "virtualized" access mechanism, so even if
two threads are poking at the bank select register in a race condition
(that would be awful code, I think) they would see the same virtual
behavior.

So for now I tend to think that the idea of a global AML lock proposed
by Pavel Machek and Bodo Eggert would be more efficient. And it
wouldn't need any driver-specific code, so it would be much more simple
to implement. The drawback being that we serialize more than we really
need to (e.g. the hardware monitoring driver will not be allowed to
access the chip when _any_ AML code is running, not just when the AML
code accesses the hardware monitoring chip, and if two drivers want to
check the AML lock, they'll exclude each other as well.) But I wonder
if this is a problem in practice. Maybe we'll have to make some
profiling on both solutions and compare.

I like the virtualized driver method (if it wasn't obvious!) but the
global AML lock works also. It will be interesting to see profiling of
both solutions.

David