TCP 2MSL on loopback

From: Howard Chu
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 06:26:28 EST

Why is the Maximum Segment Lifetime a global parameter? Surely the maximum possible lifetime of a particular TCP segment depends on the actual connection. At the very least, it would be useful to be able to set it on a per-interface basis. E.g., in the case of the loopback interface, it would be useful to be able to set it to a very small duration.

As I note in this draft http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chu-ldap-ldapi-00.txt
when doing a connection soak test of OpenLDAP using clients connected through localhost, the entire port range is exhausted in well under a second, at which point the test stalls until a port comes out of TIME_WAIT state so the next connection can be opened.

These days it's not uncommon for an OpenLDAP slapd server to handle tens of thousands of connections per second in real use (e.g., at Google, or at various telcos). While the LDAP server is fast enough to saturate even 10gbit ethernet using contemporary CPUs, we have to resort to multiple virtual interfaces just to make sure we have enough port numbers available.

Ideally the 2MSL parameter would be dynamically adjusted based on the route to the destination and the weights associated with those routes. In the simplest case, connections between machines on the same subnet (i.e., no router hops involved) should have a much smaller default value than connections that traverse any routers. I'd settle for a two-level setting - with no router hops, use the small value; with any router hops use the large value.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com