Re: CK804 SATA Errors (still got them)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sun Mar 04 2007 - 18:50:44 EST

Alistair John Strachan wrote:
On Sunday 04 March 2007 23:25, Robert Hancock wrote:
Alistair John Strachan wrote:
Can you try reverting commit 721449bf0d51213fe3abf0ac3e3561ef9ea7827a
(link below) and see what effect that has?

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commi
t;h =721449bf0d51213fe3abf0ac3e3561ef9ea7827a
Obviously, I'll let you know if it happens again, but I've reverted this
commit and transferred 22.5GB over 45 minutes onto a RAID5 with 4 HDs on
an NVIDIA sata controller, and this error hasn't appeared.

So I'm inclined to (very unscientifically) say that this brings it back
to 2.6.20's level of stability.
Interesting. Can you try un-reverting that patch, and applying this one?

Sorry for the newbie question, but is it adequate to do a:

git reset --hard v2.6.21-rc2

To ensure a patch is "unreverted" (I reverted it with "git revert"), before applying your patch?

I've done so now, assuming this _will_ work. The reason I ask is that your diff was offset by 12 lines versus -rc2.

If you committed the revert to the repository, it's probably to blow it away and re-clone. Generally, with git, you want to keep a pristine, never-touched-except-for-pulling kernel repository around, and then when doing compiles and experiments and such, run

git-clone --reference my-vanilla-2.6-repo $URL

The --reference argument will ensure that you don't haul around multiple copies of the repository objects, with each clone.

Otherwise, if you have committed nothing to the repository, this will undo all your not-committed changes:

git checkout -f

Regards,

Jeff