Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Sun Mar 04 2007 - 12:48:45 EST

On Mar 04, 2007, at 11:23:37, Kirk Kuchov wrote:
So here we are, 2007. epoll() works with files, pipes, sockets, inotify and anything pollable (file descriptors) but aio, timers, signals and user-defined event. Can we please get those working with epoll ? Something as simple as:

[code snipped]

Would this be acceptable? Can we finally move on?

Well, even this far into 2.6, Linus' patch from 2003 still (mostly) applies; the maintenance cost for this kind of code is virtually zilch. If it matters that much to you clean it up and make it apply; add an alarmfd() syscall (another 100 lines of code at most?) and make a "read" return an architecture-independent siginfo-like structure and submit it for inclusion. Adding epoll() support for random objects is as simple as a 75-line object-filesystem and a 25- line syscall to return an FD to a new inode. Have fun! Go wild! Something this trivially simple could probably spend a week in -mm and go to linus for 2.6.22.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett