Re: 2.6.21-rc2-mm1

From: Michal Piotrowski
Date: Sun Mar 04 2007 - 12:13:47 EST

On 04/03/07, Mariusz Kozlowski <m.kozlowski@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'll dig some more and try to catch some data.

Ok. I started the system and it froze after approx. 5 min. of uptime.

Scenario:

- I logged into kde
- started aterm
- insmod netconsole ... blah blah
- started azureus (downloading 1 torrent)
- started firefox (pandora.com -> flash playing music)
- started aterm
- started kmail

-> fool around a bit and ... whoops -> system is frozen

Symptoms:
- I left the computer running frozen for 5~10 minutes just in case it suddenly 'regain consciousness'
- num lock, caps lock do not make the leds on/off (looks like dead keyboard)
- unable to switch to console
- I issued sysrq-p, sysrq-t, the computer still looks dead but surprise! netconsole worked and I managed
to capture some data, no oops though
- sysrq-s does not work -> only "SysRq : Emergency Sync" gets printed ("Emergency Sync complete" does
not appear)
- hard drive I/O is dead (led not blinking when sysrq-s or whatever)
- computer is totaly unresponsive and issuing sysrq looks like playing with dead computer
- the only thing to at this stage is is hard reset

Almost each time the frozen system looks a bit different. So not sure where to look exactly. Sometimes
the keyboard 'works' and I can switch to console, sometimes the box looks totally dead, sometimes it
loops some short fragment of music and makes weird sounds, sometimes azureus still works (wifi traffic led
is blinking), sometimes CPU is eaten up, sometimes not. The common denominator could be no hard drive I/O
activity.

I read Michal P. report and it might be that we hit the same bug here.

Below you'll find the output and current config attached.

--------

Loglevel set to 7
SysRq : Show Regs

Pid: 12322, comm: firefox-bin