Re: [RFC] Heads up on sys_fallocate()

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 17:46:12 EST

On Friday 02 March 2007 00:38:19 Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Forgive me if I haven't put enough thought into it, but would it be
> > useful to create a generic_fallocate() that writes zeroed pages for any
> > non-existent pages in the range?  I don't know how glibc currently
> > implements posix_fallocate(), but maybe the kernel could do it more
> > efficiently, even in generic code.  Maybe we don't care, since the major
> > file systems can probably do something better in their own code.
>
> I'd be more happy to have the write out zeroes loop in glibc.  And
> glibc needs to have it anyway, for older kernels.

A generic_fallocate makes sense to me iff we can do it in the kernel
more significantly more efficiently than in glibc, e.g. by using only
a single page in page cache instead of one for each page to be preallocated.

If glibc is smart enough to do an optimal implementation, I fully agree
with you.

Arnd <><