Re: userspace pagecache management tool

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 15:41:15 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

It is to address the "waah, backups fill my memory with pagecache" and the
"waah, updatedb swapped everything out" and the "waah, copying a DVD
gobbled all my memory" problems.

By removing pressure from the page cache, you'll only allow updatedb
to grow the inode and dentry caches larger than before.

I am sick and tired of the "this is hard, let userspace do it" attitude.

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group