Re: 2.6.21-rc2 radeon backlight

From: Richard Purdie
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 11:37:28 EST

On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 16:06 +0000, James Simmons wrote:
> > > Richard, is this actually a bug, or is it a config error or something like that?
> > >
> > > And should we track it as a post-2.6.20 regression?
> >
> > Its a regression IMO. Arguably its a Kconfig error but a nasty one as
> > the defaults cause the problems. Different people seem to have different
> > interpretations but to me it appears that the patch from James causes
> > backlights to fail to turn on for a variety of devices which worked
> > before.
>
> It is NOT a Kconfig error. The problem is that for many fbdev drivers
> the backlight code is broken. For some magic reason it only works on
> pmacs. Most likely because the firmware properly sets up the backlight.
> Plus we have the conflict with acpi backlight.
> Think about it. Enabling the backlight code breaks the backlight.
> Without the backlight driver the default behaviour of the backlight works.
> Who sets up the default behavior? I don't have a LCD panel with a
> backlight othewise I would track the problem down.

I not arguing several fb driver's backlight code isn't broken, it is. We
have a Kconfig problem though since we used to stop users selecting
things that didn't work and now we're allowing them. Worse still, the
defaults break for people. That is a regression.

Anyhow, the patch I proposed should let people enable/disable it at
runtime with defaults known to work which should address the problem
until someone figures out how to fix the backlight drivers themselves
properly.

Cheers,

Richard