Re: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation related patches

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 22:57:03 EST

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 05:58:56PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> noooooooooo. You're approaching it from the wrong direction.
> Step 1 is to understand what is happening on the affected production
> system. Completely. Once that is fully understood then it is a relatively
> simple matter to concoct a test case which triggers the same failure mode.
> It is very hard to go the other way: to poke around with various stress
> tests which you think are doing something similar to what you think the
> application does in the hope that similar symptoms will trigger so you can
> then work out what the kernel is doing. yuk.

Yeah, it's really great when it's possible to get debug info out of
people e.g. they're willing to boot into a kernel instrumented with
the appropriate printk's/etc. Most of the time it's all guesswork.
People who post to lkml are much better about all this on average.

I never truly understood the point of kprobes/jprobes/dprobes (or
whatever the probing letter is), crash dumps, and so on until I ran
into this, not that I use personally them (though I may yet start).
Most of the time I just read the code instead and smoke out what
could be going on by something like the process of devising
counterexamples. For instance, I told that colouroff patch guy about
the possibility of getting the wrong page for the start of the buffer
from virt_to_page() on a cache colored buffer pointer (clearly
cache->gfporder >= 4 in such a case). Deriving the head page without
__GFP_COMP might be considered to be ugly-looking, though.

-- wli