Re: [patch 0/9] 2.6.19-stable review

From: Michael Krufky
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 20:49:45 EST

Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 03:23:05PM -0500, Michael Krufky wrote:
>> Greg KH wrote:
>>> This is the start of the stable review cycle for the 2.6.19.6 release.
>>>
>>> This will probably be the last release of the 2.6.19-stable series, so
>>> if there are patches that you feel should be applied to that tree,
>>> please let me know.
>>>
>>> There are 9 patches in this series, all will be posted as a response to
>>> this one. If anyone has any issues with these being applied, please let
>>> us know. If anyone is a maintainer of the proper subsystem, and wants
>>> to add a Signed-off-by: line to the patch, please respond with it.
>>>
>>> These patches are sent out with a number of different people on the Cc:
>>> line. If you wish to be a reviewer, please email stable@xxxxxxxxxx to
>>> add your name to the list. If you want to be off the reviewer list,
>>> also email us.

>>> received after that time might be too late.
>>>
>>> The whole patch set can be downloaded at:
>>> kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/patch-2.6.19.6-rc1.gz
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> the -stable release team
>> Greg,
>>
>> I still have three DVB patches that need to go to 2.6.19.y, the dvbdev patch
>> being most important. I sent this dvbdev patch to you during the 2.6.19.5
>> review period and expected it to surface this time around, but maybe our email
>> paths have crossed.
>>
>> Since I am unable to send patches inline from my current location, I've posted
>> the three pending patches for 2.6.19.y here:
>>
>> http://linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/stable/2.6.19.y/
>>
>> Please add these if possible. Again, the
>> "dvbdev-fix-illegal-re-usage-of-fileoperations-struct" patch is the most
>> important one of these.
>
> Argh, I forgot these :(
>
> Do you want me to do a new 2.6.19-stable release with these patches in
> it? It's my fault I didn't get this in, so I don't really mind if you
> feel it is important enough (it doesn't take that long to spin another
> kernel release.)
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

The dvbdev patch is pretty important, fixes a horrible problem, although the case for
it to occur is rare. The other two patches are of the "obviously correct - minimal change"
type.

If it isnt too much trouble, then yes, it is worth it to push a new release because of the
dvbdev patch.

However, please chop the "backported from" and "cherry picked from" lines from those patches.
I cherry-picked them from Mauro's tree, but he wiped it out and re-pushed those changes in
before Linus merged them.... so, the actual changesets in Linus' tree have different hashes.

(i removed those old hashes from the patches that I posted on linuxtv.org)

As for the 2.6.20.y patches, should I email those to you inline or can you just grab them from
the linuxtv.org www server? ( http://linuxtv.org/~mkrufky/stable/2.6.20.y/ )

Thanks,

Mike Krufky