Re: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation relatedpatches

From: Joel Schopp
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 11:32:09 EST

Exhibiting a workload where the list patch breaks down and the zone
patch rescues it might help if it's felt that the combination isn't as
good as lists in isolation. I'm sure one can be dredged up somewhere.

I can't think of a workload that totally makes a mess out of list-based. However, list-based makes no guarantees on availability. If a system administrator knows they need between 10,000 and 100,000 huge pages and doesn't want to waste memory pinning too many huge pages at boot-time, the zone-based mechanism would be what he wanted.

From our testing with earlier versions of list based for memory hot-unplug on pSeries machines we were able to hot-unplug huge amounts of memory after running the nastiest workloads we could find for over a week. Without the patches we were unable to hot-unplug anything within minutes of running the same workloads.

If something works for 99.999% of people (list based) and there is an easy way to configure it for the other 0.001% of the people ("zone" based) I call that a great solution. I really don't understand what the resistance is to these patches.