Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 05:30:51 EST

Hi!

> > > Agh, only 10% in the worst case.
> > > I think you can not even imagine what tricks network uses to get at
> > > least aditional 1% out of the box.
> >
> > Yep? Feel free to rewrite networking to assembly on Eugenix. That
> > should get you 1% improvement. If you reserve few registers to be only
> > used by kernel (not allowed by userspace), you can speedup networking
> > 5%, too. Ouch and you could turn off MMU, that is sure way to get few
> > more percent improvement in your networking case.
>
> It is not _my_ networking, but taht one you use everyday in every Linux
> box. Notice which tricks are used to remove single byte from
> sk_buff.

Ok, so tricks were worth it in sk_buff case.

> It is called optimization, and if it does us a single plus it must be
> implemented. Not all people have magical fear of new things.

But that does not mean "every optimalization must be
implemented". Only optimalizations that are "worth it" are...

> > > Using such logic you can just abandon any further development, since it
> > > work as is right now.
> >
> > Stop trying to pervert my logic.
>
> Ugh? :)
> I just say in simple words your 'we do not need something if adds 10%,
> but is complex to understand'.

Yes... but that does not mean "stop development". You are still free
to clean up the code _while_ making it faster.

> > If your code is so complex that it is almost impossible to use from
> > userspace, that is good enough reason not to be merged. "But it is 3%
> > faster if..." is not a good-enough argument.
>
> Is it enough for you?
>
> epoll 4794.23 req/sec
> kevent 6468.95 req/sec

Maybe. It is not up to me to decide. But "it is faster" is _not_ the
only merge criterium.
Pavel