Re: Memory stick reader Ricoh R5C592 supported?

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 04:58:55 EST

Pierre Ossman napsal(a):
Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Folks,

my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop has both a Ricoh R5C822 host adapter (for
SD, MMC, etc.) and a Ricoh R5C592 host adapter for memory sticks.

While the former works just fine, it seems to me that the latter
hasn't any support. Indeed, inserting a Sony MSA-128A memory stick
causes no reaction whatsoever. Searching with google, I haven't found
anything related to this chip; looking into the kernel source code
wasn't successful either.

Can you please shed some light on the current situation? I'm using
kernel 2.6.20.

Memory stick is completely unsupported. We haven't got any specs for neither the
the host controllers or the protocol. So I would guess it would be quite some
time before memorystick is supported directly by Linux.

There is an experimental out-of-the-tree ricoh driver. I don't know if your reader is supported, you can give it a try and report back. Make sure, you have backed your data up.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=117123096427193&w=2

regards,
--
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby/ Jiri Slaby
faculty of informatics, masaryk university, brno, cz

Hnus <hnus@xxxxxxxxxx> is an alias for /dev/null