Re: [RFC] Heads up on sys_fallocate()

From: Badari Pulavarty
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 01:04:26 EST

Amit K. Arora wrote:

This is to give a heads up on few patches that we will be soon coming up
with. These patches implement a new system call sys_fallocate() and a
new inode operation "fallocate", for persistent preallocation. The new
system call, as Andrew suggested, will look like:

asmlinkage long sys_fallocate(int fd, loff_t offset, loff_t len);

I am wondering about return values from this syscall ? Is it supposed to return the
number of bytes allocated ? What about partial allocations ? What about if the
blocks already exists ? What would be return values in those cases ?

Just curious .. What does posix_fallocate() return ?

Thanks,
Badari