Re: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation relatedpatches

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 23:30:53 EST

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 20:06:25 -0800 (PST) Christoph Lameter <clameter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No merge them to one thing and handle them as one. No difference between
> zones and nodes anymore.

Sorry, but this is crap. zones and nodes are distinct, physical concepts
and you're kidding yourself if you think you can somehow fudge things to make
one of them just go away.

Think: ZONE_DMA32 on an Opteron machine. I don't think there is a sane way
in which we can fudge away the distinction between
bus-addresses-which-have-the-32-upper-bits-zero and
memory-which-is-local-to-each-socket.

No matter how hard those hands are waving.