Re: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation relatedpatches

From: Balbir Singh
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 20:53:00 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
So some urgent questions are: how are we going to do mem hotunplug and
per-container RSS?

Also: how are we going to do this in virtualized environments? Usually the people who care abotu memory hotunplug are exactly the same people who also care (or claim to care, or _will_ care) about virtualization.

My personal opinion is that while I'm not a huge fan of virtualization, these kinds of things really _can_ be handled more cleanly at that layer, and not in the kernel at all. Afaik, it's what IBM already does, and has been doing for a while. There's no shame in looking at what already works, especially if it's simpler.

Could you please clarify as to what "that layer" means - is it the
firmware/hardware for virtualization? or does it refer to user space?
With virtualization the linux kernel would end up acting as a hypervisor
and resource management support like per-container RSS support needs to
be built into the kernel.

It would also be useful to have a resource controller like per-container
RSS control (container refers to a task grouping) within the kernel or
non-virtualized environments as well.

--
Warm Regards,
Balbir Singh