Re: License violation?

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 19:36:04 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge napsal(a):
Jiri Slaby wrote:
Hi.

I have a GPL driver (written by me) with workarounds, since I hadn't
know-how, when I wrote it. Now I've got 2.4 proprietary driver from
the vendor. Is use of the 2.4 driver know-how OK? (And could be such
driver merged?)

These are lines from the proprietary driver:
IMPORTANT SAFETY & LEGAL INFORMATION:

This source file is provided as part of the SensAble
Technologies PDD/GHOST Software Development Toolkit in
order to facilitate the use of PCI-based PHANToM haptic
interface devices across various Linux kernel revisions.
It is meant to be recompiled without modification. It
should NOT be modified in any way. Any modification of
this source code will void any and all software and/or
hardware warranties and maintenance agreements with
SensAble Technologies or its assignees. Furthermore,
modification of this source file may result in the damage
or failure of the user's hardware. SensAble Technologies
and its assignees assume no responsibility for any damage
or injury resulting from the modification of this file.

It's obvious, that if somebody was using the GPL driver, he'll lost
warranty et al. (But this is not the question.)

Seems reasonable to me. This isn't license text. They're not saying
you can't modify it; they're just saying you own the pieces if you
modify it and break it. Is there an actual license?

No other text in there, but simple Copyright:

/* Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Sensable Technologies, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Aha, I've read it second time, and I get the point now.

regards,
--
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby/ Jiri Slaby
faculty of informatics, masaryk university, brno, cz

Hnus <hnus@xxxxxxxxxx> is an alias for /dev/null