Re: SMP performance degradation with sysbench

From: Nish Aravamudan
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 19:21:22 EST

On 2/27/07, Nish Aravamudan <nish.aravamudan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/27/07, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paulo Marques wrote:
> > Rik van Riel wrote:
> >>
> >> That still doesn't fix the potential Linux problem that this
> >> benchmark identified.
> >>
> >> To clarify: I don't care as much about MySQL performance as
> >> I care about identifying and fixing this potential bug in
> >> Linux.
> >
> > IIRC a long time ago there was a change in the scheduler to prevent a
> > low prio task running on a sibling of a hyperthreaded processor to slow
> > down a higher prio task on another sibling of the same processor.
> >
> > Basically the scheduler would put the low prio task to sleep during an
> > adequate task slice to allow the other sibling to run at full speed for
> > a while.
<snip>
> > If that is the case, turning off CONFIG_SCHED_SMT would solve the problem.
<snip>
> Note that Intel does make multicore HT processors, and hopefully when
> this code works as intended it will result in more total throughput. My
> supposition is that it currently is NOT working as intended, since
> disabling SMT scheduling is reported to help.

It does help, but we still drop off, clearly. Also, that's my
baseline, so I'm not able to reproduce the *sharp* dropoff from the
blog post yet.

> A test with MC on and SMT off would be informative for where to look next.

I'm rebooting my box with 2.6.20.1 and exactly this setup now.

Here are the results:

idle.png: average % idle over 120s runs from 1 to 32 threads
transactions.png: TPS over 120s runs from 1 to 32 threads

Hope the data is useful. All I can conclude right now is that SMT
appears to help (contradicting what I said earlier), but that MC seems
to have no effect (or no substantial effect).

Thanks,
Nish