Re: MOST(Media Oriented Systems Transport) Interface?

From: Bernhard Walle
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 19:12:15 EST

Hello,

* Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@xxxxxx> [2007-03-01 00:22]:
> Robin Getz wrote:
> > Does anyone have a pointer for a MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) driver?
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Oriented_Systems_Transport
> >
> > I have seen announcements of Linux systems that support MOST:
> >
> > http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2586090082.html
> >
> > But I have not seen the driver architecture, or the protocol that people are running on them...
> >
> > Any pointers?
>
> The were some rumours earlier, but now I actually stumbled over the
> release - and recalled this thread.

Quite interesting that you found it. It was released yesterday, and I
wanted to write an announcement in a few days, at least at the Xenomai
lists. Anyway ...

> This might be what you are looking for:
>
> http://most4linux.sourceforge.net/

Yes, that's a MOST driver for a OS 8604 PCI interface that I wrote as
Diploma Thesis at Siemens. It was relased as OpenSource just now.

It only supports synchronous data transfer. The Most NetServices are
in userspace. There's a OpenSource demonstration available, but no
full NetServices implementation. You can buy a license from SMC or use
the specification to re-write an OSS implementation. However, that's
all userspace, so no GPL problem here. :)

I must say that it was more a demonstration how a Linux driver could
be ported to real-time Linux extension than a real productive working
MOST driver for Linux.

Well, but of course, it works. At least it did in my environement
(i386/single-CPU).

You can find more information on the homepage ...

Regards,
Bernhard

PS: SUSE has nothing to do with that driver, I only write with my SUSE
address because I don't want to re-subscribe because of one mail.