Re: lanana: Add major/minor entries for PPC QE UART devices

From: Timur Tabi
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 12:04:34 EST

Dan Malek wrote:

I don't know the origin of this thread, but none of
that looks correct. Today, there can be up to 8
CPM UART devices, 6 on CPM/CPM2 and 8
on the QE. If ttyCPM0 starts at minor 46, they
should be at least monotonically incrementing
up to ttyCPM7 with minor 53.

Minor nit: On the QE, they'll be called ttyQE0 through ttyQE7.

I agree that the CPM and the QE should share the same starting minor number, so that ttyCPM0 has the same major/minor number as ttyQE0, since it's not possible to have a CPM and a QE on the same device. However, ttyCPM0 is currently assigned to 46, and device 50 is an Altix serial card. The only way to give the CPM 6 or 8 slots without moving it is to overlap the Altix card.

Now I don't know anything about the Altix card, so I don't know if it's possible to use that card on a system with a CPM or a QE. If it isn't, then I don't know if overlapping minor numbers is still a problem.

(Note that the Altix card has a range of 50-81, which is pretty big.)

If we move CPM/QE to 192, then I can change the CPM device driver to reflect that, but I don't know what that means for older kernels.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale