RE: Using dm-crypt for encrypting files

From: Ph. Marek
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 01:12:02 EST

> Hello,
>> - encrypts new files depending on their filename, and generally
>
> What about renaming a file ???
Well, that's a small (but known!) problem with this scheme.
If you say that everything below a directory "_crypt_" should be
encrypted, and just move files in there, you've got no problems - the
encryption settings stay the same.

If you move in/out of encrypted storage, there's two options:
- if it's a separate filesystem, ie. mounted, you cannot move - you
have to copy & delete, which means the data gets correct settings.
- if its not the same filesystem, you might get a wrongly en/decrypted
file.

But I just saw ecryptfs (http://ecryptfs.sourceforge.net/) - that seems to
do more or less what I need. I'll take a look.

Regards,

Phil

--
Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!