Re: [QUESTION] Sata RAID

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 20:51:05 EST

Patrick Ale wrote:
On 2/24/07, Patrick Ale <patrick.ale@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/24/07, Michael-Luke Jones <jonesml@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One more question regarding this, I am aware its not *really* kernel
related but answering this question now will save yourself a lot of
bogus emails from me about MD oopses later and all, and I want to
setup my disks right once and for all and never witness what I
witnessed last weeks with my ATA disks.

Would you use MD at all, taking in account the disks come from the
same batch and all? I hear these things about MD/RAID being pointless
when you use disks from the same brand/type/batch since they most
likely will break shortly after each other.

Well, for values of "shortly" in months in most cases. These are consumer goods, I would not expect units with consecutive serial numbers to fail separated by such a short time that you can't do a backup and/or replace and rebuild. If quality control were so good they are likely to fail at the same time it would be so good they would be obsolete before they failed.

That urban myth is a good reason to do backups, but a bad reason to avoid RAID.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>