Re: SMP performance degradation with sysbench

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 09:03:17 EST

J.A. MagallÃn wrote:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:31:29 -0500, Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hiro Yoshioka wrote:

Another question. When the number of threads exceeds the number of
CPU cores, we may get a lot of idle time. Then a workaround of
MySQL is that do not creat threads which exceeds the number
of CPU cores. Is it right?
Not really, that would make it impossible for MySQL to
handle more simultaneous database queries than the system
has CPUs.

I don't know myqsl internals, but you assume one thread per query.
If its more like Apache, one long living thread for several connections ?

Yes, they are longer lived client connections. One thread
per connection, just like Apache.

Its the same to answer 4+4 queries than 8 at half the speed, isn't it ?

That still doesn't fix the potential Linux problem that this
benchmark identified.

To clarify: I don't care as much about MySQL performance as
I care about identifying and fixing this potential bug in
Linux.

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group