sky2 stable in 2.6.12-rc1 (but still performance problem)...

From: Daniel J Blueman
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 06:32:09 EST

Hi Stephen,

2.6.21-rc1 is the first kernel where my SysKonnect Yukon 2 hardware
with the sky2 v1.13 driver is stable under moderate load. Before a few
GBs of data going over my GigE network quickly with NFSv4 would cause
transmit timeouts previously, but now fine.

I am still observing a performance problem - feels like a wmb() or
some buffer flushing is missing somewhere - disabling processor clock
scaling reduces the problem a bit, but does not eliminate it.

What are your preferred way of checking performance? I think that the
TCP send window can grow enough even if ACKs are delayed due to this
problem, such that TCP does not immediately demonstrate this issue. I
could restrict the window scaling factor, so it would be bound by the
data->ACK round-trip latency, which /should/ be low, but I've been
observing it higher. Maybe I try this.

I'll see what I get with iperf UDP also, since this shows min, max,
avg UDP packet latency IIRC.

Thanks for your great work so far though!
Dan
--
Daniel J Blueman