Re: threadlets as 'naive pool of threads', epoll, some measurements

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 05:38:29 EST

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 09:27:57AM +0100, Ingo Molnar (mingo@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > note that threadlets are not 'micro-threads'. A threadlet is more of
> > > an 'optional thread' (as i mentioned it earlier): whenever it does
> > > anything that makes it distinct from a plain function call, it's
> > > converted into a separate thread by the kernel. Otherwise it behaves
> > > like a plain function call and returns.
> >
> > I know.
> > But it is rare case for the most situations, when things do not block,
> > so I called it micro-thread, since it spawns a new thread (get from
> > preallocated pool) for parallel processing.
>
> ugh. Because 'it spawns a new thread from a preallocated pool' you are
> arbitrarily renaming threadlets to 'micro-threads'?? The kernel could be
> using a transparent thread pool for ordinary pthread recycling itself
> (and will possibly do so in the future) - that does not make them a
> micro-thread one iota. So please stop calling them micro-threads,
> threadlets are a distinctly separate concept ...
>
> ( And i guess you should know it perfectly well from my past mails in
> this thread that i dont like micro-thread concepts at all, so are you
> perhaps calling threadlets 'micro-threads' intentionally, just to
> force a predictably negative reaction from me? Maybe i should start
> renaming your code too and refer to kevents as 'kpoll'? That too makes
> absolutely zero sense. This is getting really silly. )

I already think about renaming kevent aio, since it uses kaio name,
which you frequently reference too, but you definitely did not think
about kevent.

And out of curiosity, how masichistic I would look if I intentinally
want to receive negative reaction from you :)

As far as you can recall, in all syslet related threads I was always for
them, and definitely against micro-threads, but when we come to the land
of IO processing using event driven model - here I can not agree with
you.

So, ok, no micro-thread name.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov