Re: [RFC] Fast assurate clock readable from user space and NMI handler

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 02:38:45 EST

* Ingo Molnar (mingo@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> * Daniel Walker <dwalker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The pit clocksource could be dropped pretty easy with my clocksource
> > update patches, which I'm still working on but you could easily drop
> > clock sources that aren't atomic like the pit .. Also the pit is
> > generally undesirable, so it's not going to be missed.
>
> that's totally unacceptable, and i'm amazed you are even suggesting it -
> often the PIT ends up being the most reliable hardware clock in a PC.
> Btw., what's wrong with the spinlock that is protecting PIT access? It
> expresses the non-atomic property of the PIT just fine.

I am concerned about the automatic fallback to the PIT when no other
clock source is available. A clocksource read would be atomic when TSC
or HPET are available, but would fall back on PIT otherwise. There
should be some way to specify that a caller is only interested in atomic
clock sources (if none are available, the call should simply return an
error, or 0).

I still think that an RCU style update mechanism would be a good way to
fix the current clocksource read issue. Another, slower and non NMI
safe way to do this would be with a read seqlock and with IRQ disabling.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers