Re: [patch 0/6] fault vs truncate/invalidate race fix

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 01:26:47 EST

On 2/27/07, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:36:03 +1100 "Dave Airlie" <airlied@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I've also got rid of the horrible populate API, and integrated nonlinear pages
> > properly with the page fault path.
> >
> > Downside is that this adds one more vector through which the buffered write
> > deadlock can occur. However this is just a very tiny one (pte being unmapped
> > for reclaim), compared to all the other ways that deadlock can occur (unmap,
> > reclaim, truncate, invalidate). I doubt it will be noticable. At any rate, it
> > is better than data corruption.
> >
> > I hope these can get merged (at least into -mm) soon.
>
> Have these been put into mm?

Not yet - I need to get back on the correct continent, review the code,
stuff like that. It still hurts that this work makes the write() deadlock
harder to hit, and we haven't worked out how to fix that.

> can I expect them in the next -mm so I
> can start merging up the drm memory manager code to my -mm tree..

What is the linkage between these patches and DRM?

the new fault hander made the memory manager code a lot cleaner and
very less hacky in a lot of cases. so I'd rather merge the clean code
than have to fight with the current code...

Dave.