Re: [patch 0/2] semaphores: add down_interruptible_timeout() and asm-generic/semaphore.h

From: Inaky Perez-Gonzalez
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 20:53:23 EST

On Monday 26 February 2007 18:18, Alan wrote:
> > Yeah, I need semaphore. This is a hw register that says when the hw
> > is ready to accept a new command. Code that wants to send commands has
> > to down the semaphore and then send it. When hw is ready to get a new
> > command, it sends and IRQ and the IRQ up()s the semaphore.
>
> So you need a mutex not a semaphore

Theoretically I could use a mutex. Practically it would trigger ugly
complications. Only the owner can unlock a mutex (for example), so
I could not unlock from an IRQ handler -- not to mention that the
semantic rules outlined in Documentation/mutex-design.txt explicitly
forbid IRQ usage.

And then, this is what semaphores where designed for, as gates :)
for once that I get to use a semaphore properly...