Re: include/linux/xattr.h: how much userpace visible?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 18:55:57 EST

David Miller wrote:

However, it would be better if the ABI constants were exported, or at least *exportable* (using a __KERNEL_XATTR_MACROS test macro or something like that.)

This is the same situation as the socket.h issue we're trying
to figure out what to do about.

wrt. the socket.h case I think I'm going to revert the guilty
changeset for now until a better scheme is implemented

Indeed it is (as well as <linux/stat.h>).

I believe the use of feature macros is probably the way to go; that way userspace can request subsets, which can vary from libc to libc.

There is, of course, the "ABI language" variant, but I don't see that happening unless someone has a lot of time to spend on it.

-hpa