Re: Make sure we populate the initroot filesystem late enough

From: Paul TBBle Hampson
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 17:53:00 EST

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:27:47AM -0800, john stultz wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 19:00 -0500, David Woodhouse wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 20:59 +0000, Linux Kernel Mailing List wrote:
> >>
> >> Make sure we populate the initroot filesystem late enough

>> This seems to be what's triggering the apparent memory corruption we've
>> been seeing recently -- in the case of the Fedora kernel it manifests
>> itself as a BUG() in cache_alloc_refill() when the pmac ide driver
>> initialises.
>>
>> Another report was at http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/17/4
>>
>> We've been seeing it on a Mac Mini too, and I managed to reproduce it on
>> my shinybook this evening by booting with 'mem=512M'.

> Just for reference (as its not in the thread linked above), this issue
> disappeared for me after some config changes (I somehow changed my
> selection when I backtracked and then moved forward w/ git bisect).

> I've not been able to reproduce it since, but I know others (BCC'ed on
> this note) have seen it and might prod them to come forth with details
> (and broken .config files)

In my case, disabling CPU_FREQ_PMAC made the failure go away.
After reverting this patch, CPU_FREQ_PMAC is once again operating
successfully, so far.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson@xxxxxxxxx

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/