Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 14:34:58 EST

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:22:46AM -0800, Linus Torvalds (torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> See? Stop blathering about how everything is an event. THAT'S NOT
> RELEVANT. I've told you a hundred times - they may be "logically
> equivalent", but that doesn't change ANYTHING. Event-based programming
> simply isn't suitable for 99% of all stuff, and for the 1% where it *is*
> suitable, it actually tends to be a very specific subset of the code that
> you actually use events for (ie accept and read/write on pure streams).

Will you argue that people do things like
num = epoll_wait()
for (i=0; i<num; ++i) {
process(event[i])?
}

Will you spawn thread per IO?

Stop writing the same again and again - I perfectly understand that not
everything can be easily covered by events, but covering everything with
threads is more stupid idea.

High-performance IO requires as small as possible overhead, dispatching
events from ring buffer or queue from each cpu is the smallest one, but
not spawning a thread per read.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov