Re: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 14:27:26 EST

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 12:56:33PM -0600, Chris Friesen (cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
>
> >I never ever tried to say _everything_ must be driven by events.
> >IO must be driven, it is a must IMO.
>
> Do you disagree with Linus' post about the difficulty of treating
> open(), fstat(), page faults, etc. as events? Or do you not consider
> them to be IO?

>From practical point of view - yes some of that processes are complex
enough to not attract attention as async usage model.

But I'm absolutely for the scenario, when several operations are
performed asynchronously like open+stat+fadvice+sendfile.

By IO I meant something which has end result, and that result must be
enough to start async processing - data in the buffer for example.
Async open I would combine with actual data processing - that one can be
a one event.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov